Mti Librarian's Reviews > Community Quilts: How to Organize, Design & Make a Group Quilt

Community Quilts by Karol Kavaya

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: adult, artist, friends, non-fiction, quilting, north-carolina
Read in November, 2011

I can't remember why I ordered this book, probably for Emily's reading challenge and then forgot and used something else. But I got quite a pleasant surprise when I didn't have another book waiting to read right away and picked up this one to browse through. I ended up reading it cover to cover and was late to work because I didn't want to put it down.

This is not a traditional quilting book. The first two-thirds of the book describe the 30 year history of a quilting circle located north of Asheville, NC in the rural mountain area of Madison County. This section includes full page color pictures of quilts made by the group in chronological order. It also includes information about the occasion and recipient of the quilt, the designers, what they were trying to depict and accomplish, and also reactions to the finished quilts and memories of the quilt making process. These quilts were usually made in secret and then presented to the recipient at a community party celebrating a wedding, birth, etc. There is a very wide range in the finished quilts, everything from traditional patchwork to intricate embroidery and truly complex appliqué. Basically, this is a history of the community and friendship told by incredibly creative fiber artists.

This book was perfect for me because I'm more interested in the reason and meaning behind chosen patterns and colors. I also don't follow strict patterns when I'm quilting; I take the general idea of something I like and adapt it to fit what I want.

The last third of the book is step-by step instructions for making a group quilt, but most of the ideas and advice will also apply to the lone quilter. I also found this section clear and easier to follow than other quilting books I've read. There are also three patterns in the back of the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Community Quilts.