Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl's Reviews > Burnt Offerings

Burnt Offerings by Laurell K. Hamilton

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: top-reads, urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance
Read from November 03 to 06, 2011

It wasn't until book four of this series, The Lunatic Cafe that I began to enjoy Anita Blake, book five, Bloody Bones found me becoming addicted, book six, The Killing Dance finally delivering what we had all been waiting for and now, book seven, Burnt Offerings tipping the scale and sending this series into delightfully wonderful overdrive. This series just keeps getting better and better.

This time round, we meet some very powerful and very dangerous vampires and Anita finds herself facing off against the biggest and baddest nasties of the night, all in an effort to save vampires, not humans.

What really sold me on this book was the change in Anita. We had been seeing it over the past few books, but it wasn't until this one that she really began to shine and become the female protagonist I had been pining for. Anita has always been capable, strong and kick-ass, but her character flaws often out-shone her assets. This time she actually improves on so many levels, it's almost like you're reading a different character. Don't get me wrong, there's still the good old fiery, don't-walk-all-over-me Anita, but now she dresses better, she holds her tongue in delicate situations, she cries (shock-horror), she even lets people help her up off the ground when she is beaten, and what really sold me on her, she does some very nice things, some good versus evil decisions which make it so much more believable that all these men would want to swoon all over her.

Ahhh, so much better!

The pace itself is unrelenting, this was a high action, edge of your seat read, the first time I could actually say that about the Anita Blake series. There have been other books in the series which have had good pacing, but this one started at the beginning and held on tight for the duration. Excellent.

I had begun to wonder whether I would ever give Hamilton's books a high score, but Burnt Offering has finally done it. Well done Laurell K. Hamilton, you have found your footing and I can't wait to read more. Fingers crossed the standard will remain as high as Burnt Offerings.

So, what score does book seven in the Anita Blake series get?

9/10: "Fantastic, left me wanting more" on the NBRS Score.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burnt Offerings.