thuy's Reviews > Knits for Nerds: 30 Projects: Science Fiction, Comic Books, Fantasy

Knits for Nerds by Toni Carr

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: crafts, netgalley, review-written
Read on March 05, 2012

How could I resist a book called Knits For Nerds? I couldn’t really. As a knitter and a lover of many things considered “nerdy,” I was excited to pick this one up. Knits for Nerds is by Joan of Dark (aka Tori Carr) whose last book, Knockdown Knits, was inspired by roller derby. This time she tackles the nerd community with patterns inspired by things considered geeky, including television shows, books, comics and video games.

The book consists of 30 patterns divided into the categories of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics & Manga, and Other Stuff. The patterns range from easy to intermediate with the Browncoat sweater or lace shrug probably being the most complicated projects. The patterns range from small accessories such as fingerless gloves, hats and scarves to larger items like shawls and sweaters. There are quite a few toys to knit in the book as well as a pair of socks. There is a brief Tips & Techniques section at the back of the book but it’s more of a refresher than a how to knit section. I’d suggest getting a book dedicated to learning to knit if don’t already know how before starting.

I had a lot of fun going through this book. The projects are inspired by things near and dear to my heart. The photos were even shot in Neil Gaiman’s house, which made me do a fangirl squee when I read it. My favorite projects were the most wearable ones, such as the Vampire Academy inspired Alchemy Scarf and the Firefly Browncoat Sweater. There’s a really beautiful cable shawl inspired by Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely series. Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog is represented by a pair of really cute, striped arm warmers. There are a pair of vests for men and woman from The Big Bang Theory that look quite cute and wearable. The Space Princess Hat and Cape (seen on the cover) are really cool but are items that I, personally, would not wear and therefore I would not make. I was kind of disappointed in the Dr. Who inspired Time Traveler Scarf. The colors are more pastel than the Dr. Who scarf I am used to and I would not have made the connection if not for the project title. There are also some fun, little projects like a checkerboard and a Gryffindor bag that would make good gifts.

While not all of the projects in this book are the most practical (do I want my feet to look like hairy hobbit feet?), it was certainly fun to go through this book and see projects that were inspired by some of my favorite movies, games and comics. For me, this gets a little bit of a lower rating because I can’t see myself, personally, wearing too many of these knits. However, I can see a lot of these projects appealing to others. Fans of cosplay will find lots of cool, inspiring things to make in this book.

Filled with a wide variety of patterns, Knits for Nerds is a great gift for the fanboy, fangirl or crafty person in your life.

*An e-ARC of this book was provided free of charge by NetGalley.com. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knits for Nerds.