Lynn's Reviews > Naked

Nov 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: kindle
Read in November, 2011

This was my first time reading anything by Sedaris and I have mixed feelings. I liked his writing style quite a bit, and I found several of the stories enjoyable, and the characters intriguing, and at times, outright hysterical.

But I agree with some other reviewers that it fell rather flat in the middle and I had a hard time finding some of the stories plausible - especially the hitchhiking episodes and the string of going-nowhere jobs. Those stories were outright bleak and depressing and I constantly wondered why someone who seems intelligent is basically trying to inject himself into a society of losers. Is that supposed to make him more ironic or deep? Whatever.

His writing is best when he's making keen observations of his family, who seem to have given him a lifetime of material to work with. The stories of his family are the most humorous and also the most touching. With the exception of the title story, Naked, and the family stories, I could have done without the rest. The drudgery in the middle is what made me go from 4 stars to 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked.