Patti's Reviews > Think Twice

Think Twice by Lisa Scottoline

Nov 03, 11

** spoiler alert ** Oh my God, seriously?? SERIOUSLY?? That ending? Really?

The premise was great, as I love Bennie. I always thought the mysterious twin plot device was hokey, but I loved the idea that the "evil twin", Alice, would actually bury Bennie alive. Holy shit, girl! You for real! The first 2/3 of this book were outstanding. Bennie's terror, Alice's all felt real. I love Judy, Mary, and Mary's family and so I loved spending time with them (even though I wish Judy would get a little more "screen time"). If I had stopped reading there, I would have given this book 4 stars.

But I kept reading. Mary's relationship (I forget the guy's name) was ridiculous. I don't know how long it's supposed to have been since her husband's death, but I'm really tired of it. I love her, but I want to smack her and say, "Snap outta it!" (Sorry, I know I sound harsh). The whole "you make more money than me" plot was boring and the way it was resolved (I love you! Buy the house! We just won't live together yet!) was insipid.

But that ridiculousness pales in comparison to how the Bennie/Alice thing wrapped up. The dog barking at the end was like the final nail in the coffin. Way too cutesy for bad ass Bennie. Yuck.

As an aside, I read with dismay how the author has fallen into the "successful, rich, brainy woman gets no sex" stereotype that is far too common in books. I'm not sure I'm successful (just a teacher), definitely not rich, but I am smart and haven't noticed that problem. It's kind of you can't get laid if you dare to have a job and show your brain off. I might have even given the book an extra star if Bennie was out having booty calls prior to being buried alive.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think Twice.

message 1: by Olga (new) - rated it 1 star

Olga fully agree... soap opera/law drama/comedy a La Janet Evanovich. Fun in a silly, need to kill time driving (audio book) kind of way. but fun nevertheless. I agree that all romantic story lines are pathetic.