Jodie's Reviews > My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife: A One-Year Experiment...and Its Surprising Results

My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife by Sara Horn

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011, favorites, net-galley, non-fiction
Read from November 03 to 05, 2011

When I began this book, I immediately saw the convenient short chapters (devotion-size) and planned to read a chapter once a day until I was finished the book. Well, after reading the first chapter, I had to read the second. Then, the second was so good, I had to read the third. This morning I was on page 70 something, got completely hooked, and couldn't stop reading. Rarely, if ever, has a nonfiction book caught my attention like that. (Not, that they weren't good, but just one chapter or section a day was enough.)

I thought this would be all about what not to do and ways to be a better Christian wife. Instead, what I found was a book written by a real person, with no false pretenses. One who's had struggles very similar to mine. (Actually, at some points I had to look to make sure she wasn't in my house writing about me!) Sara begins by telling us what set this experiment into motion. We all know the Proverbs 31 woman, the one who does everything, never gets aggravated, and does it all with a smile! "I don't appreciate how bad she makes me look." Oh Sara, I couldn't agree more!

Sara sets out on this experiment to discover how to be that "perfect" wife. She refers to the Proverbs 31 woman as Martha 31. Too funny! I loved her candidness in her writing. She shares frequently about everything not going right in her attempts to be a better wife and mom, but she keeps trying anyway. And like me, her end goal is not to be the perfect housewife doing all the frilly, crafty, made from scratch stuff. Nor does she want to be the wife/mom who spends all her time devoted to her work outside the home. She just wants to be happy in the middle. But, when your husband is unemployed and you feel like it's your job to provide for your family, it's hard to be living in the middle.

Sara has packed so much humor and realness in this book, that I can't do it justice with my words. She says on her website in regards to this book that she's just "wishing that they will laugh." Sara, you've accomplished that goal! And for anyone who feels they need to become that ever perfect Proverbs 31 woman, I urge you to get this book. You won't find all the answers you're looking for, but you will find that you're not alone! Thank you Sara Horn and may God bless you and your family you for all you do for our country!!

DISCLOSURE: I was graciously provided a free digital version of this book from Harvest House Publishers in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jodie I am really loving the humor and honesty from the author in this book!!

Jodie I don't think I've had a favorite non-fiction author before, but I sure do now!!

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson This looks great Jodie- I might need to head over to Netgalley and get it!