Michael's Reviews > Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A Neuroscientist Examines his Former Life on Drugs

Memoirs of an Addicted Brain by Marc  Lewis

Nov 12, 2011

Read from November 03 to 12, 2011

Lewis' memoir takes you on a remarkable odyssey through his life and his addictions as well as the neuroscience of addiction, which he explains clearly and lucidly. Remarkably this combination of memoir and scientific work turns out to be a gripping page turner. This well published PhD psychologist reveals a life of shocking addiction and finally crime that boggle the imagination, knowing, of course, how it turns out. From a private New England boarding school to Berkley, CA, to the jungles and winding alleys of Thailand and India and finally through a failed marriage and graduate schools in Ontario this tale is riveting, and enlightening. On an academic level, I feel this book improved my understanding of addictions and certainly all of Lewis' insights ring true given my own clinical (and perhaps even personal) experience with this area. Definitely worth picking up even if you have little interest in neuroscience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of an Addicted Brain.