Angela's Reviews > Hollyweird

Hollyweird by Terri  Clark

Jul 29, 12

Read from July 21 to 23, 2012

The cover for Hollyweird makes the book look like a fun story and that is exactly what you get. Terri Clark writes believable teen characters who interact with snappy dialogue. Aly and Des may appear to be complete opposites - preppy and rule-following, goth and rule-breaking - but they work together. I love Aly's description of their friendship on the second page of the book, "She is yin, I am yang. Together we are taijitu, the balance of yin and yang." It is this balance of personalities that allows Aly and Des to face evil in Hollywood with both the logic and passion needed to overcome it.

Chapters in the book alternate between Aly and Jameson telling the story. I enjoyed this technique because it allows the reader to see more than either Aly or Jameson can see in the moment. It also gives the reader a chance to know each character on a deeper level and understand more of why they react to each other they way they do based on their individual backgrounds. This gives the romantic aspect of the book a realistic feeling as the characters must sort through a variety of emotions.

Hollyweird is a fast read both because it isn't a long book and because of the quick pacing of the story. The dialogue is peppered with references to contemporary Hollywood shows and stars. Des also invents new words by combining others. It is pretty easy to figure most of these out in context, although Aly also explains some of them to Jameson along the way. Terri Clark offers us the classic battle of good versus evil but she presents it with a personal brand of humor and contemporary style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollyweird.

07/21/2012 page 80