Lisa's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: 1001-before-you-die, 2011, guardian-1000, kindle-baby, new-1001-before-you-die, comedy, classics, irritating-heroines, romance
Read from November 03 to 06, 2011, read count: 1

Proving yet again what a great writer Jane Austen is/was, by providing me with yet another book that I thoroughly enjoyed while harbouring an intense dislike for its heroine.

While very different to Fanny from Mansfield Park she's at least as awful by way of being a conceited, judgemental, snotty, meddlesome and spoiled young woman who while being rather witty and charming in conversation proves herself to be a truly abominable, careless friend. Thankfully due to it being written in such a witty, knowing way it's quite good fun to watch Emma blunder her way through the match-making she thinks she's so good at, while pitying poor Harriet for having such a horrid friend.

With brilliant characters (I loved Mr. Knightley and liked that he wasn't blind to Emma's faults, even if I had secretly hoped that somehow Harriet might snag him after all to serve Emma right) and an acute eye for social scenes and bitchery (in particular regard to Mrs Elton and Emma herself once Jane Fairfax is introduced) this was great fun.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

11/04/2011
21.0% "Liking the Knightley's...but Emma's a judgy, meddling little snot isn't she?"