Dan's Reviews > Fablehaven

Nov 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: favs-for-10-and-under
Read from January 19 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy

Okay, okay, I'll be gentle because I know there are a lot of people who really like this series. In fact, I had high expectations for Fablehaven based on several recommendations.

I consider myself VERY forgiving when it comes to the writing skills of an author--if a story is engaging and has a happy ending, I'm sold. I mean, I thought the Inheritance Cycle was great!

Unfortunatly, this book has so many plot holes, hollow characters, sudden course changes, underdeveloped story lines, poor (no-- horrible) descriptions, juvenile use of language, and the like that the story—the most important part of all—suffered.

Like I said, I don’t want to be too hard on Fablehaven. It’s a children’s book, after all, and I think my kids will love it. I really shouldn’t try to make it into something it’s not. But it’s just that the premise of the story is BURSTING with potential. I wish the book had been three times as long, then there would have been enough time to properly develop the plot line and characters.

Fablehaven gets three stars—actually two and a half, but I’m rounding up—because if I were 10-14 I would love the book. As an adult, I didn’t love it. But the story has potential enough that I’ll be reading the other 4 books in the series right away—just with much lowered expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fablehaven.

01/19/2012
19.0% "I've had enough friends recommend this series that I figured id better get started. So far, so good!"
01/21/2012
54.0% "I can't stand idiots, and there is one here that is making me cringe!"
01/23/2012
100.0% "Well, at least I know my 10 year old will like it!"
03/01/2012
5.0% "All right! It's time to start reading Fablehaven to the kids! Don't know who's more excited--them or me!"
03/05/2012
10.0% "And now Spring soccer season begins, cutting deeply into our family reading time! We may be working though this one for a while. . ."
09/21/2016 marked as: read