Lissa Smith's Reviews > Therian

Therian by Roxanne Kade

Feb 22, 13

bookshelves: 2013
Recommended to Lissa by: R2R
Recommended for: Anyone who loves supernatural vampire and werewolf
Read from November 03, 2011 to January 18, 2013, read count: 3

I was fortunate enough to make the cut for reviewing this book for R2R and in no way does it affect my review…..

It has been a while since I have been thrust into a book from page one. The prologue alone drew me into the story and left me with a several haunting question? Exactly who, or should I say what is Carmine? Why would Guiliana have reason to fear him? How could Carmine have saved his wife? Moreover, what was to become of baby Amberlyn that Lenora birthed before she pasted?

In no time, I swallowed up the chapters hanging on every word on every page. And each chapter brought more and more gripping questions. Amber is gifted with the ability to see memories through a single touch. Because of this, Amber has spent eighteen years locked away in the eighteenth century estate that Carmine had purchased Lenora (her mother) as a wedding gift. Like any teenager; all Amber wants is a normal life and to venture out into the world, to live life; and attend a real college.

Amber acceptance into CFU less than thrills her father as he has given everything a teenage girl could ever want. Determined not to give into her father’s will and remain locked away she packed her bags; said her good-byes to Guiliana. She headed off to college with not even as much as a look from her father. Upon her arrival at CFU she bumps into Taye – who is a total hot dish— while looking for her dorm room. Once settled she begins to tour the campus— and meets Tristian—who is unremarkable compared to Taye. After she ditches Tristian, she heads to her room to settles in and meets her roommate Luna whose memories she could not see, thought Luna hugged her. Which begs me to question; why can’t Amber see Luna’s memories. After greetings, Luna sweeps Amber away to a bon fire party where they will be plenty of hot guys and Luna’s brother’s.

Overwhelmed with all the memories flowing all at once Amber and Luna make their way through the crowd and Luna introduces Amber to her *bf* Deacon Korey and her brother’s Locke and the *so hot* Tayelon. She is more than elated to see Taye there and the way Taye eyes her he too must feel some way. I was excited for Amber that her feeling for Taye was growing deeper as they grew closer. Amber and Taye find them self’s falling for one another all while surrounded by secrets and half- truths. And I felt bad for Tristian; it obvious he like Amber. He just has the stalker mentality that would drive even me to extra cautious around him.

I wander what Amber has managed to get herself into when Lucard entered her life. Are Taye, Tristian and Lucard supernatural? The author has left subtle hints to leave me wondering yet gripping enough to keep reading. The author has also managed to guard her words carefully and leaves me trying to figure everything out through to the end— if Taye Tristian and Lucard are sups; are they enemies or frenemies? Not to mention the importance to Luna’s *bf* Deacon Korey, if there is any. In addition, I mustn’t forget Taye reaction to Amber when the wolf howled. Yet in the back of my mind I was wondering about the wolf.— Could the wolf be Taye? Or the story behind the death of Taye’s father.

So many questions raced through my mind as I was reading. However, the plot was so well written I found I could not pull myself from the pages long enough to draw my own conclusions. I was elated to read a female lead who didn’t just accept the strange things going on around her and she questioned everything and demanded proof. Than when she did accept the truth she struggle with it as any human would.

I can’t say enough about this debut book, only do yourself a favor and pick up a copy you will not be sorry. I look forward to reading more stunning work pinned from Roxanne Kade. She is an up and coming author who has managed to bring a fresh new plot to the paranormal world of vampire’s werewolf’s and magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Therian.

Quotes Lissa Liked

Roxanne Kade
“Calm down, she told herself. Try to at least act normal before he starts thinking of you as a freak as well.”

Roxanne Kade
“Taye stood looking at her, waiting for her to let go of his hand….She quickly withdrew her hand and shoved it in her jeans pocket….Great, so much for acting normal”

Roxanne Kade
“Another? … I don’t really drink….Trying to kill the nerves...”

Roxanne Kade
“If you’re looking to get drunk and laid on your first night here, you have
to be more careful to make it worth your while...”

Roxanne Kade
“There I go again with my vampire fantasies!”

Roxanne Kade
“Sorry I kept you waiting so
long.”
His smile brought one to her face.
“I don’t mind. I’d wait an eternity
for you.”

11/03/2011
13.0% "The prologue alone drew me into the story and left me with a several haunting question? Exactly who, or should I say what is Carmine? Why would Guiliana have reason to him? How could Carmine have saved his wife? Moreover, what was to become of baby Amberlyn, Lenora birthed before she pasted?"
11/03/2011
20.0% "It has been a while since I have been thrust into a book from page one... If I did not have to drive I would still be reading it."
11/03/2011
29.0% "I had to chapters 1-6 repeatedly trying to figure out what I miss…. Then a friend helped me out…. Next time I should read the summary, it will save me time….LOL"
11/03/2011
29.0% "Anyone know who Therian is... my copy say Tristian. What is up with a lot of the guys having girls names?"
09/19/2013 marked as: kindle_read
09/19/2013 marked as: reviewed
09/19/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maghon Thomas Great review!!! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did :)

message 2: by Lissa (last edited Nov 28, 2011 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lissa Smith Maghon wrote: "Great review!!! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did :)"

I’m glad you enjoyed Therian (The Bloody Crescent, #1)  by Roxanne Kade as much as I did too Maghon!!!

Roxanne KadeRoxanne Kade has become one of my two favorite Breakout authors of the year.

Therian (The Bloody Crescent, #1)  by Roxanne Kade AND Creatura by Nely Cab have run rapid in my home. Even my nephew are reading them and that says a whole lot. I can’t wait until the release of her next book. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting.

Oh, how I wish the gods and God would bless me with ARC of the second book. Heaven… LALALALALA. Yes! I believe I have gone a bit mad today but oh, it still is a great book.

Maghon Thomas hahahaha that is so awesome ;)

Lissa Smith Maghon wrote: "hahahaha that is so awesome ;)"

You have to Check out Creatura by Nely CabCreatura BY Nely CabNely Cab. It too is an awsome book!!!

Maghon Thomas I shall :)