Barbi's Reviews > Pamela. Or, Virtue Rewarded

Pamela. Or, Virtue Rewarded by Samuel Richardson

2036346
I read Pamela four or five years ago for a class on Restoration and 18th century British Literature. I believe I was the only person in the class who actually finished the book. And I had to force myself to do it. It's really repetitive. Pamela keeps saying the same things over and over and over again, and she ends up coming off as pretty snotty.

However, I did keep reading, and not out of some sense of obligation for class. I kept reading because I was fascinated by Pamela's insistence on writing. No matter what anyone did or said or threatened, she was steadfastly determined to keep writing about her experiences, and pretty much everyone in the novel insisted that she stop writing. Whatshisname was clearly threatened, not by her insistence to stick to her moral code, but by her insistence to write no matter what the cost. There was something subversive about that act that I found appealing, and, in some ways, that act made Pamela a little more endearing to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pamela. Or, Virtue Rewarded.