Debbie's Reviews > Empress of the World

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan

Nov 14, 11

Read from November 03 to 10, 2011, read count: 1

I "read" this book on audiobook, and I really liked the reader.

As for the story, it was interesting. While I knew it is a common title in the LGBT lists for teens, I thought it was more honest and emotionally tough a book than I expected. It has a lot of ups and downs in the plot, and I felt that even in the "happy end," the end was only happy from some perspectives. All the same, I could identify with the main character Nic, and I felt the same feelings of nervousness, confusion, emotional pain, and yearning that she did.

That being said, I first discovered this book when an openly lesbian student entered my remedial reading class. I thought this would be a good way to hook her in, but it turned out to be far to challenging for her to read. The vocabulary is upper-high school level, the sentence structure is more complex than some young adult books I've read recently, and there are many allusions to famous science, art, and political people that the average reader might not understand. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since the main characters are all at a summer camp for gifted high school kids, but I was, so I'm warning others, too.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empress of the World.