Manu's Reviews > The Enchantress Of Florence

The Enchantress Of Florence by Salman Rushdie

M 50x66
May 27, 08

Recommended for: Naeem (especially)

While the lyrical fanaticism in praise of new literary upstarts has led some to sardonically emphasize the Sir in Sir Salman Rushdie (and assert his cultural whiteness to boot!), it is with books such as these that the much maligned author asserts his belief in the persistence of difference in even the most syncretic themes.

In so doing, while the author cannot silence his critics (indeed, that would be furtherest from his mind), he does succeed in reminding readers of a possibility where the East and West could meet and where homelessness is a theme not to be maligned, but to be praised. Indeed, it is by confronting his critics' fascistic adherence to space and time that Rushdie inspires the vitriol regularly leveled at him.

The Enchantress of Florence is a Mughal Princess who eschews the warmth of hearth and home, and instead embarks on a journey to the West (and one might add, to freedom). The Enchantress of Florence is also a tale of a Mughal Princess told my a traveller from the West who has come to the court of the Mughal Emperor Akbar.

Deploying his unrivaled mastery of the medium of Magical Realism, Rushdie involves himself in the telling of the tale (rumors are rife that the Enchantress is none other than his estranged wife Padma Lakshmi). But that reading could only survive at a superficial level. The storyteller within the novel is as much a ruse of Rushdie's as the Enchantress is a ruse of the story teller. And Rushdie makes this abundantly clear; Rushdie's voice is everywhere and the novel is his desire to entertain his audience. And what a yarn he succeeds in weaving.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantress Of Florence.

message 1: by Naeem (new)

Naeem Very nicely done but it feels like a chess match or spin bowling. you neither tell me much about the book nor do you entice me to read it.

no ball, shall we say?

(The batter anticipating a bouncer says this) Can you answer this question: what does the author bring us in this book without which our lives would be lesser?