Zeke's Reviews > Doc

Doc by Mary Doria Russell

Nov 03, 2011

bookshelves: 5stars, favorites, west, fiction
Read in June, 2011

Want just an overall great read?
I LOVED this book. Went into it with very little interest in Doc Holiday or Wyatt Earp. Just wanted an enjoyable read and boy, did I get it. Russell knows how to spin a great yarn and her characters nearly walk off the page. They're still with me. I wish I could have known them, had a drink with them.

Like your historical fiction to be at least somewhat accurate?
This book was scrupulously researched. This book gives a better sense of the "wild" West than any nonfiction I can imagine. Almost all the characters were actual people living in Dodge City (or other areas) at the time. She provides a list of characters and specifies which ones were created (very few, and this includes a horse or two she creates).

OK..but Doc Holiday comes off as some kind of superhero...
For awhile, it felt like a solid 4 star book because Doc Holiday has a few flaws but...not really. He's definitely a larger than life character in this book. Eventually, though I went with it and didn't really care. He WAS a bit of gentlemanly hero type, but still very human.

Now that I've read it, I want to give it anyone who would possibly consider it!
Highly recommended to anyone who likes Lonesome Dove or the HBO show, Deadwood.

To audiobook lovers:
If you get into audiobooks, do yourself a favor and listen to this book. One of the best audiobook experiences of my life. I'm going to seek out this guy (Mark Bramhall) online and send him my effusive praise.

Final note:
do not read this book for an account of the OK Corral gunfight. Not much here, much more of an epic account of the post-civil war "wild" West.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doc.