Scott Rhee's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: scandinavian-mystery, series-detective
Read from November 03 to 10, 2011

I have been waiting to read this, the third and final book in the late Steig Larsson's trilogy to feature Lisbeth Salander, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest", for almost a year now. Partly because I'm cheap, and I just wanted to wait until it came out in paperback, but also partly because the second book left off on a cliffhanger, and I just love keeping myself in suspense because I'm a masochist. "TGWKTHN" is, to put it simply, a f***ing awesome read. It's also, in my humble opinion, the best of the three. Without giving spoilers away to those who have yet to read the first two (get a move on, people!), this book opens with Lisbeth stuck in a hospital room suffering from a severe gunshot wound to the head, while her friend/former lover Mikael Blomqvist rushes to find evidence to prove that Lisbeth is not a psychotic killer but has been a victim of a secret conspiracy of evil men within the Swedish government. Even placed under house arrest and slightly incapacitated, Lisbeth is still a force to be reckoned with. The book culminates in her trial, one of the coolest and most intense courtroom scenes I have ever read. Larsson's books are exciting and impossible to put down once you've started, which can get pretty tiring considering it's over 700 pages in length. Well worth the time and effort, though. Looking forward to finally seeing the film version of this that I've had on my Netflix queue for months. And, yes, I will most likely go see the American film version of "The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo", because it's directed by David Fincher and looks pretty amazing visually... although the Swedish film is still excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.