Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Biting Cold

Biting Cold by Chloe Neill

“If you have a preferred god, Sentinel, I suggest you start praying. And soon.”

Pray that Neill will put this series out of its misery ASAP, that is.

First impressions
This is the last chance I’m giving Chicagoland Vampires. Screw this up and I’m out. Hell, I’m actually expecting a screw-up, but maybe it’s for the best. I don’t really feel like continuing this series anymore. All of this because of how things evolved between Merit, Ethan and Mallory. Well, when you put it that way it’s almost everyone in the book. So yeah, there you have it. I’m being dramatic, I know. Whatever.

The plot
Ethan is back from the dead and he isn’t a zombie. Yet. Mallory is still on the run, endlessly chasing after the big evil book, the Maleficium. Why is that? To publish another Chicagoland Vampires book. Duh! Merit and Ethan join forces, of course, to stop the evil bitch witch and after a bunch of useless events involving gnomes [I shite you not], a freaky Maleficium –induced binary fission and loads of teenage angst [yes, it’s Ethan] Mallory snaps out of her evil sleepwalking state and turns back into her old kind self. Yep, just like that. Oh yeah, and she repents through washing excessively oily Ukrainian dishes.

Yes Miss Neill, a worthy punishment for a person who switched to using black magic and almost destroyed the world is to wash dishes.

Even so, the danger is not over. The freaky binary fission produced another worthy enemy. An evil angel –

I’m sorry, but I can’t be serious when talking about this. First gnomes. And now angels. Getting desperate Miss Neill?

Anypoodle, as I was saying. Another enemy, a fallen angel, who – surprise, surprise – wants to destroy the world. Can these people get a bit more original? Everyone wants to destroy the world. Can’t they just threaten kittens with guns or something? Ugh. So yeah, he wants to destroy the world and our golden couple, Ethan and Merit, is the only hope this dear planet has.

My thoughts
Now this was a total waste of time. I’ll save you the bother of reading till the end and tell you now that I won’t be continuing the series. It’s obvious that Neill either lost her touch or is going through a bad state but the Chicagoland series is going to hell in a handcart.

I don’t give a shit about Merit’s relationship with Ethan anymore. I want a good story not a bunch of pages filled with useless romance. And that’s where my problem lies. The good story. I used to think that the whole evil witch thing was not nice. And now we get fallen angels. FALLEN FUCKING ANGELS! What are we in Disneyland? Throw in all the mythical creatures you can, I’m sure the peeps will love it.

No, the peeps won’t fucking love it! At least not me! And twin brothers? One good one evil? Cheesy much?

Apart from the angel issue I got hit in the head with how slow and boring the book’s pace is. Action scenes? No thank you, we should totally focus on Ethan’s emo phase because emo guys are SOOOO popular these days.

Emo my ass.

Merit and Ethan’s relationship weakened dreadfully. I don’t feel the passion between them; I am not interested in them getting together even. This is totally going to happen, btw. It’s TOO obvious. Merit will never go for the other guys. Why? Because they are better than Ethan. It’s a book rule. Chicks never go for the obvious choices. They go for the emo ones.

Mallory’s redemption was also pure filling. Her sole purpose was to bring Ethan back, since Neill was out of better ideas. She served it and now she’ll get back to normal. Mark my words.

I was going to give it two stars but the twin-Tates incident is why I’m removing one star from my rating. The absurdity stupidity of it is too high to be forgiven.

A short conclusion
Biting Cold is full of tasteless romance and the story is not good enough to make up for all the other weak points. Which are far too many. I can’t begin to express how disappointed I am with it. I was hoping to give Chicagoland Vampires a second chance but Biting Cold sealed the deal. I won’t be continuing the series anymore. My advice for Chloe Neill, four words: just kill it already.

Favorite quote
[empty]

*Buddy read with Dee. You can read her review here.*

Review also posted on

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Biting Cold.

09/02/2012
09/02/2012 page 135
49.0% "Two Tates? That's your story?..."
09/02/2012 page 168
62.0% "Angels..." 10 comments
09/02/2012 page 200
73.0% "I can't wait to finish reading this. I'm trying so hard not to drop it and start something else." 7 comments
09/03/2012 page 218
80.0% ""You are an universe" - what does that even mean? Is he calling her fat?" 2 comments
09/03/2012 page 273
100.0% ""Are you sure you want to permanently delete this ebook? "
Fuck yeah." 11 comments

Dija Buddy read?

message 2: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I'm not so excited about this so I don't think I'll be reading it too soon. If you still wanna go for it then ok, I'm in.

Dija That's why I wanna buddy read it, because I know that on my own I might never get around to reading it. XD

message 4: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Hahaha. Ok then, when do you feel like you'll have the power to start it?

Dija I dunno. Sometime towards the ending of August/beginning of September? A part of me wants to read it ASAP, just so I can get it over with, but that part is really tiny, so I doubt that'll happen. XD

message 6: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Better get mentally prepared for it :)) So yeah, end of Aug/beginning of Sept is perfect.

Aly is so frigging bored Our buddy read, cool.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` You should get paid, I often read what you wrote, just to know what to read next! :)))

message 9: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Lol, I wouldn't mind that! The good life, getting paid to read books. Unless they're shitty books. Then it would be hell.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` yeah.. well anyways, If I'd get paid for reading bs, I'd probably not even be bitchy about it lol

message 11: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Really? :))

Aly is so frigging bored I was right! I love it when I am right :D

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` lolz Aly. Who doesn't

message 15: by mrsj (new) - rated it 2 stars

mrsj Nice one! :)

message 16: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer @Aly: It was a lucky guess :p

@Aurelija: We'd get bitchy sooner or later :))

@Mrsj: I'm so happy you hated it too. It seems like we're the only ones who did :/ All those five and four star reviews..

@Jenny: Did you see that they're having the series up to book 10 !!!! in the GR Chicagoland Vampires list? Milking ftw...

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` tell me about it... I think I was born bitchy lolz.
And Sarcasm is my middle name lmao :D

Aly is so frigging bored I am voting for some new dimensions :D

message 19: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Demonic babies that can travel through different dimensions. They will also awaken the four horsemen of the apocalypse and bring the end of the world.

Aly is so frigging bored Not bad, you should write a book about that love :D I would definitely buy it

message 21: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I'll note down the idea, who knows when it will come in handy :)))

Aly is so frigging bored Anzu wrote: "I'll note down the idea, who knows when it will come in handy :)))"

You should note all of them down :)) I think you had others over the time I've known you :D

message 23: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I have two more, I guess.

message 24: by Adrianne (new)

Adrianne loved ur review!! dude, i was done with this series since the last book so i refused to read this one. ethan was lame and merit was not even a cool heroine. the other characters who lived with her were more fun. series started off good in book 1 but just went downhill from there. ;(

message 25: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Heh, thanks :D

I wasn't joking when I said that I won't be continuing the series. I got bored of all the nonsense that's going on.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I´m glad I read your review, I was rereading the 1st book and though I might give the series another chance by reading this book. But everything you said is exactly the reasons I hadn´t. Just like when Ethan died and it was so obvious that she would bring him back. So I didn´t think she would have the balls to actually keep Mallory evil. If she was going to go for it 100% it could have saved the series.

message 27: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer She's just milking it, and it's too obvious. What authors do for money..

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Most of published authors do it for money, but hey, some of them actually have good imagination and can put together a great story

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lack of imagination but also lack of trust in the reader. I would have kept reading even if Ethan was dead. He was hardly dead one book, plus all the while he kept showing up so it was obvious he wasn´t gone for good. I don´t mind figuring out what´s going to happen, it can be exiting to see if you are right. But I never had any doubt he would come back or that Mallory would come back.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` I couldn't help myself from comparing how Mac felt when Barrons died ( the first time i mean lol)
She was devastated, I was devastated.. I really did cry, my heart hurt etc . And Merit... well, not so much. It's like she didn't really cared for him. Sometimes she did, sometimes she didn't. I absolutely felt nothing reading it.

Laura (Kyahgirl) great review. Ethan is such a complete pussy it has wrecked this series for me. Maybe she should have stuck to UF because she's really failing at the R in PNR!

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` JennyJen wrote: "I was happy. Good riddance."

happy 'bout what?

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Are we talking about Ethan or Barrons lol :D
cause if you say one bad word about Barrons... :D

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` huh! I feel relieved :)
I actually didn't liked their 'relationship' from beginning..

message 35: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer JennyJen wrote: "Ethan."

Oh Ethan... Not only Ethan, all of them. BURN IN HELL!

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` :D
I can't believe I bought this one, and I'm not even sure I'll read it. Maybe a day will come when I'll need to prove something to myself by reading it. I just don't know what it might be?

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Aurelija The Golden aka Mary Maundrell wrote: "I couldn't help myself from comparing how Mac felt when Barrons died ( the first time i mean lol)

I hadn´t thought of that yes there you can see how good it can be when it is done right. I was also devastated when I found out about Barrons, didn´t know if he was truly gone.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Hi 5 Jenny, you were not alone!

message 39: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I screamed at my Kindle for like 30 minutes at the end of the book when Barrons.. well you know (spoiler free) :))

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Anzu wrote: "I screamed at my Kindle for like 30 minutes at the end of the book when Barrons.. well you know (spoiler free) :))"

Yeah, I was in a state of shock when I finished Dreamfever. I think I didn´t react for at least 10 minutes.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Oh I react, it was like my friend had died and I didn't want anyone to know or see me. Thank God that I've read it when everyone was already asleep. My husband would have thought I'm an idiot :D

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Well, my mind reacted in complete denial but my body... I just stayed sitting on my bed looking at the book.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` (view spoiler)

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Yes, I spend thinking who else it could be the entire year that we had to wait for the next book.

message 45: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer (view spoiler) :))

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Anzu wrote: "[spoilers removed] :))"
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
OMG!!
I can't breathe! :DDDDD LOOOOOOOOL
You killed me with this one :DDD

message 47: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer It makes perfect sense :p

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` It really does, cause he's soooo caveman-like :DD

message 49: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Exactly!

Btw, did you guys read this? https://www.facebook.com/anzu.k/posts...

Right?? I mean, right?? Who's with me?

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Can't see that, we're not friends in FB :))

But you are right, mostly all of the time :)

« previous 1