Lisa's Reviews > Touch of Power

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: harlequin

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

Maria V. Snyder never disappoints. All of her books are amazing and Touch of Power is right there at the top, next to her Study series. Once again, we join a strong heroine on her dangerous journey to faraway lands. Avry is the only healer left in the world and all sides will come charging in order to gain one of the most valuable, and possibly dangerous, assets one can have in these times of strife. With a bounty on her head, Avry's attempt at saving a life leads to a betrayal and her ordered execution. That's until Prince Kerrick and his four men come to the rescue, needing her to cure Prince Ryne, a man she loathes, of the plague. Join Avry as she discovers her inner warrior and learns what things are most important in life. Can she sacrifice her own in order to help another King reign? Is he really the enemy or are her opinions of him skewered?

The very best thing about Touch of Power is the brilliantly vibrant cast of characters. They're different to each other in so many ways, yet their personalities balance out perfectly. Avry is the stubborn but selfless healer, Kerrick is the hardened but secretly kind earth magician, Flea is the puppy-dog teenager, Quain and Vinn are the monkeys and Belen is the sweet "poppa bear"! While Avry is initially reluctant to travel with these men to her death, the six bond like no other and become a tightknit family she can't imagine living without. Even when given the opportunity to leave, she can't bear the thought of parting with her closest friends. All of the relationships in this novel are beautiful and will touch your heart like they did mine!

Kerrick. Kerrick, Kerrick, Kerrick. The romance had fireworks flaring. You can't not love him and Avry together! It's absolutely stunning to watch them go from hate to love. It's a long process, trust me, but so worth it. Kerrick and Valek (from Maria's Study series) are quite similar so it's no surprise that I fell in love with him! Kerrick isn't exactly Avry's best friend in the beginning, being borderline cruel, but things, of course, change. Many important discoveries are made as the novel progresses and they'll greatly alter your views on everything, but until then...go insane!

The worlds Snyder creates are always detailed and, in a way, very realistic. With the help of maps and vivid descriptions, it's not difficult to imagine the fifteen realms and nine mountains. It's a magical landscape, perfect for a magical story. With gripping mysteries and exciting adventures, I never wanted the book to end! All of these great elements come together to form an explosive novel, so prepare for Maria to blow your mind.

Give me more! Give me more! I need to know what happens next! Maria has done it again, with a new refreshing cast of characters and plot. Previous fans of her novels will fall in love all over again, while new readers will be eagerly scrambling to feast their eyes on her other work. What a brilliant start to a magnificent series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.

11/06/2011 page 135
34.0% "Wow I could not stop comparing Kerrick to Valek.." 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca No way?! You're reading it? I'm so jelous!!!! lol ;)

Lisa Yes I've got my gorgeous little ARC *hugs it* ...well, maybe not little. The book is pretty darn thick with small font LOL.

Rebecca I am so so jelous! lol Did you win it in her competition or something? :)

Lisa Haha no, it's an ARC from publishers ;)