Dylan Morris's Reviews > Patient Zero

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

M_50x66
Nov 03, 11

Read on November 03, 2011

I chose this book on a whim. I was browsing the horror section, looking for something to creep me out on my bus rides home from work. I picked up Jonathan Maberry's book, and from the very beginning I was completely enamoured.

I cannot overstate how absolutely floored I was by the gorgeous flow of Maberry's writing. In Joe Ledger, I have found one of the most impressively characterised leads I have ever encountered; in fact, every character in Patient Zero is a fully-formed and wonderfully unique person. The subtleties of each character and their motivations are pitch perfect, giving each of them an enthralling humanity, and leaving me wanting more and more.

Maberry's prowess extends far beyond individual characters, however. The shifts in voice between chapters - from Ledger's first person perspective, to the omniscient narrator filling in the gaps - could have spelled disaster, and certainly worried me at first, but the story's two separate voices and narratives weave closer and tighter together throughout the story, culminating in an intense dual climax, and the way that Maberry handles it absolutely cements him as one of my new favourites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patient Zero.

11/03/2011 page 479