Chana's Reviews > The Doctor's Daughter

Nov 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: american, fiction-family-drama, released-through-bookcrossing
Read from November 03 to 07, 2011

A woman with 3 grown children, a husband she seems to love and who loves her but they fight all the time anyway, wakes up one morning with a bad feeling in her chest, a feeling of anxiety. She thinks it is related to her mother but can't figure out why as she had a very ideal kind of childhood. She goes into therapy, tries to figure out what is bothering her and otherwise continues her life. Part of her life is her father, a former top surgeon who is now in the old age home with dementia. She tries to get him to give her clues about her mother and thus solve her own anxiety.
I didn't find the story very compelling, although sometimes the author is very funny in that she is spot on in her observations and has a good way of writing what she sees. There was one above average point in the book and that is when she realizes the truth of what is bothering her. It gave me a little shock. I think I would have reacted differently than the main character, but I appreciated the way the discovery was written.
I suppose we were supposed to connect the past and the present, what was going on in the parents relationship and what was going on in her own marriage, but I didn't find myself willing to make that connection and forgive the main character her flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doctor's Daughter.