Benjamin's Reviews > The Hacker's Diet: How to Lose Weight and Hair Through Stress and Poor Nutrition

The Hacker's Diet by John Walker

May 27, 08

bookshelves: recommended-by-me, read-in-2006
Recommended for: overweight engineers
Read in February, 2006

It is hard to describe what it feels like to suddenly have some control over an area of your life where you previously felt powerless. After reading this book I started tracking my weight daily and lost over 25 lbs; simply tracking my weight as described in the book made me aware of my progress even when it was otherwise undetectable, preventing me from giving up too soon.

Most diet advice is written by professionals who spend all of their time thinking about health and are acutely aware of all the nutrients you need to be ingesting on a daily basis so as not to contract scurvy. As a result, the advice they give tends to be overwhelming and to hold it all in your head you must summarize it as YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING WRONG.

John Walker is a software engineer who decided one day to approach his weight as an engineering problem: your body has inputs (food) and outputs (water and waste) and the difference between the two dictates your weight loss or gain. It's slightly more complicated than that, but not much.

Walker has the credibility of someone who is recommending something that they have done themselves. More importantly, he did not lose weight and become a fitness guru who advocates that you do the same to change your life, too. He, like a lot of overweight people, already had a pretty good life and just wanted to lose some weight and keep the rest of it mostly the same.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hacker's Diet.