Kristen's Reviews > The Soulkeepers

The Soulkeepers by G.P. Ching

F 50x66
Nov 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks, fantasy-sci-fi, ya, religion-spirituality, migration-assimilation, contemporary, na-usa, finding-oneself, race-racism, china-tw-hk-diaspora, indian-middle-eastern
Read from December 04, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Honestly I didn't really get into this book until I got to the excitement of the last couple chapters. I suppose it was my fault for going into it with the wrong expectations but I just thought it was going to be more interesting. I really feel like it dragged a lot, especially because I wasn't too interested in Jacob and Malini's romance.

That isn't to say it wasn't a good book though. I think the author approached and handled issues of faith, identity, purpose and race well. I also enjoyed being introduced to Malini, Gideon, Dr. Silva and Lilly and I'm very interested in finding out how these characters grow, especially Malini given that she's still a bit of a mystery. Prior to reading those last few chapters, I wasn't inclined to read the next novel in the series but now I think I will. I'm intrigued and now I'd very much like to know what happens (and what's the deal with Malini).

Three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soulkeepers.

12/03/2011 page 150
45.0% "Didn't expect this to start getting all religious on me but in hindsight, I suppose I should have. I'm not used to reading paranormal novels that heavily incorporate The Bible and Christianity (and I'm not so comfortable with that, tbh) but so far, the author seems to be treating it sensitively so we'll see. I kind of like Jacob though - and I think his powers are pretty awesome so I'd like to see how he evolves."
show 1 hidden update…