Silvana R's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011, contemporary, my-ebooks, favorites, reread-material
Read from November 08 to 10, 2011

Your flawless books make me so happy. Thank you so much Perkins

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Quotes Silvana R Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I draw him closer by his tie and whisper into his ear, "Cricket Bell, I have been in love with you for my entire life.”

Stephanie Perkins
“No more moving. I'm here. I'm wherever you are.”

Stephanie Perkins
“No, I don't love Max anymore. But I don't want to give you this broken, empty me. I want you to have me when I'm full, when I can give something back to you. I don't have much to give right now.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring."
I smile. "You don't think I'm perfect?"
"No. You're delightfully screwy, and I wouldn't have you any other way.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Remember that day I made you the elevator?” he suddenly asks.

I give him a faint smile. “How could I forget?”

“That was the day I had my first kiss.”

My smile fades.

“I’m better now,” He sets the apple beside me. “At kissing, just so you know.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”

Stephanie Perkins
“And it didn’t matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I don't believe in fashion. I believe in costume. Life is too short to be same person every day.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Anna prods St. Clair's shoulder. "Come on. Weren't you gonna show me that thing?"
"What thing?"
She stares at him. He stares back. She cocks her head toward Cricket and me.
"Ah, yes." St. Clair stands. "That thing."
They rush out. The door shuts, and St. Clair shouts, "Lola, Cricket wants to show you his thing, too-oo!”

Stephanie Perkins
“And if I'm the stars, Cricket Bell is entire galaxies.”

Stephanie Perkins
“And I hold my head high toward my big entrance, hand in hand with the boy who gave me the moon and the stars.”

Stephanie Perkins
“So do you believe in second chances?" I bite my lip.
"Second, third, fourth. Whatever it takes. However long it takes. If the person is right," he adds.
"If the person is... Lola?"
This time, he holds my gaze. "Only if the other person is Cricket.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Being with Anna is easy. She's the one."
The one. It stops my heart. I thought Max was the one, but... there's that other one.
The first one.
"Do you believe in that?" I ask quietly. "In one person for everyone?"
Something changes in St Clair's eyes. Maybe sadness. "I can't speak for anyone but myself," he says. "But, for me, yes. I have to be with Anna. But this is something you have to figure out on your own. I can't answer that for you, no one can."
"Oh."
"Lola." He rolls his chair over to my side. "I know things are shite right now. And in the name of friendship and full disclosure, I went through something similar last year. When I met Anna, I was with someone else. And it took a long time before I found the courage to do the hard thing. But you have to do the hard thing."
I swallow. "And what's the hard thing?"
"You have to be honest with yourself.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I slide my hand between our mouths, just in time. His lips
are soft against my palm. I slowly, slowly remove it. “No, I
don’t love Max anymore. But I don’t want to give you this
broken, empty me. I want you to have me when I’m full,
when I can give something back to you. I don’t have much to
give right now.”
Cricket’s limbs are still, but his chest is pounding hard
against my own. “But you’ll want me someday? That feeling
you once had for me … that hasn’t left either?”
Our hearts beat the same wild rhythm. They’re playing the
same song.
“It never left,” I say.”

Stephanie Perkins
“When I come back, the club is packed. There's hardly any standing room. Anna snagged a wooden bar stool, one of the few seats here. St. Clair stands close to her, facing her, and he smoothes the platinum stripe in her hair. She pulls him even closer by the top of his jeans, one finger tucked inside. It's an intimate gesture. I'm embarrassed to watch, but I can't look away.
He kisses her slowly and deeply. They don't care that anyone could watch. Or maybe they've forgotten they aren't alone. When they break apart, Anna says something that makes him fall into silly, boyish laughter. For some reason, that's the moment that makes me turn away. Something about their love is painful.”

Stephanie Perkins
“He glances down and notices that I'm still wearing a certain blue something, and, this time, it's HIS index finger that wraps underneath MY rubber band.
I shiver wonderfully. "I'm never taking it off."
Cricket brushes the delicate skin of my wrist. "It'll fall off."
"I'll ask you for another one."
"I'll give you another one." He smiles and touches his nose to mine.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Where in the bloody hell did that come from?" asks the other person behind the counter. Or more precisely, on top of the counter, where her ridiculously attractive, English-accented boyfriend is perched.
He's the other thing I like about Anna. Wherever she goes, he follows.
He nods toward the baby wipe. "What else are you carrying in your pockets? Dust rags? Furniture polish?"
"Watch it," she says. "Or I'll scrub your arms, Étienne."
He grins. "As long as you do it in private.”

Stephanie Perkins
“If I weren't standing next to your boyfriend, I'd be tempted to ask you out myself."
She blushes, and St. Clair bounds inside the box office and wrestles her into a hug. "Miiiiiiiiine!" he says.
"Cut it out." Anna pushes him off, laughing. "You'll get fired. And then I'll have to support your sorry arse for the rest of our lives.”

Stephanie Perkins
“They stayed with my mum."
"That's... weird."
"Not really. Mum is cool, easy to get along with."
I raise a teasing eyebrow. "So where did YOU guys stay?"
"Where we always stay." He stares back solemnly. "In our very separate dormitories.”