Alex's Reviews > Where I'm Calling From: New and Selected Stories

Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver

U_50x66
Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

I don't have much to say about this book besides that it is a struggle to read. It is not a struggle in the sense of being challenging or witty- it's just a very slow walk through very dull collection. Although this author tries to spice his dull 60's life of the 'everyman' up with adultery and and drugs use, I still find myself checking how many more pages I have to suffer through. Usually I'm all for books about the dirty underbelly of a perfect society, but this is dull and mediocre writing.

I understand the usage of repetition in Carver's work but at the same time I feel it fails in it's effect. Yes, in certain instances it gives off the impression that a section is important, but also it becomes annoying, but also it's a lame attempt to capture my fading attention, but also it's a frequent failure in my opinion.

Not impressed so far. Unless this book picks up with something heavy or so vulgar I can't put it down, I will be wasting my time on a 550 page book.

Unimpressed still.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where I'm Calling From.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maleah Gust Hi Alex,
I have been looking through the review and am glad to find someone who does not really seem to like this book. I finished reading it and it was a complete waste of my time. I maybe enjoyed only a few stories in the book. I must say I love your last paragraph of your review "I, again don't have much to say about this book. It is long and leaves the reader up in the air at the end of so many stories. I feel like this book is stuck on repeat. The same rainy mood, smack your wife, have a drink, another drink, a smoke and a blunt is just replayed through every simply crafted tale. Also the stories themselves are mundane. I literally have more drama in my hall than Carver is able to dream up." This left me laughing :)