Lyndi's Reviews > Power of the Moon

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: heroine-ruins-it
Read in November, 2011

I'm going with 2.5 stars. This is why:

1. Denial. Denial. Denial. The heroine, Mia, denies any and all positive feelings and instead chooses to torture herself by basing her decisions on fear. And these decisions? They always hurt somebody else, too. I don't want to read a story about a woman's attempt to sabotage her own happiness while simultaneously destroying the happiness of others. That's a bummer. Also, I'm pretty sure every single supporting character told her to stop running from her problems/emotions at some point in this book.

2. She got out of the car. When the big-bad-preternatural-being tells you to stay put, you should fucking stay put.
"But I'm strong and independent!" Not if you're constantly running away from the scary.
"I can take care of myself!" Against the numerous vamps that are ready to kill you when you can't even seem to stay upright on your own (o hi bella)?
"I don't have to listen to him!" Because you know so much more than the centuries old vampire that is trying, regardless of your attempts to stop him, to save your life?
"But I have powers!" That you can't even accept, much less control?

3. Tendency to go off half-cocked into suicidal situations. But wait, she's always saved by a sudden understanding of her powers! *sigh*

The plot is alright, I enjoyed the concept. But Mia pissed me off, acting like a child most of the time and a bitch the rest of the time. Very rarely was she likeable for me. On the other hand, I loooved Cole. He was what kept me reading. The two secondary lawmen, Raul & John, they were great characters, too. And I really thought I knew who the leak was, but I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

As for editing, I got a digital copy and can't assume that the same issues will appear in other formats. But in my copy, there were random quotation marks at the end of paragraphs. I kept having to reread to make sure I hadn't missed dialogue. It's not a big deal, but it was slightly annoying.

The other situation is not one I've come across before, so I'm not sure how to explain it. But from one sentence to the next, within a paragraph, we'd hop back and forth from Mia's to Cole's thought process. I understand revealing one character's thoughts and then revealing another's thoughts. But not in the middle of a paragraph. Suddenly I'm like "Why is Mia referring to Cole as "she"...?" Oh wait, that's Cole now.

THE SEX WAS HOT!! It was a little steamier than most of the PNRs I've read, but instead of making me wonder why this wasn't listed under 'Erotica', it just made me want a Cole of my very own. Loads of sexual tension and foreplay.

Rereading what I just wrote, I feel like I can summarize my feelings on this book in one sentence: I liked almost everything about this it except for the main character, Mia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power of the Moon.