Timothy Darling's Reviews > Sepulchre

Nov 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, gothic, period-fiction
Read from October 15 to November 06, 2011 — I own a copy

Sepulcher is a good book. I was part way through before I realized it was part two of a series, but I suspect it won't matter. As horror (the way some categorize it) it falls flat, but as a supernaturally influenced suspense and gothic novel, it is successful indeed. I liked the past / present interplay, though I thought the connection was a little forced at the end. Both Leonie and Meredith were engaging, making me anticipate the return to each woman's respective time period. I applaud Mosse for grappling with a time and place that are less present in the post DaVinci Code glut of ancient mystery thrillers. It is off the beaten path and a less known historical context. Her Southern France is captivating and intriguing. I find myself thinking that a visit there, if I ever go to Europe again would be interesting. She also succeeded in presenting the second series of books (after Zelazny's Amber series) to make me curious about tarot, though the feeling will pass, and I'm not so interested as to dabble in something I think is harmful. I have already recommended Sepulcher to a fellow reader and I have already bought Labrynth, so I intend to continue on the quest.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sepulchre.