Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: own-arcs, paranormal

Skye lives in a beautiful town under a gorgeous sky with her Aunt Jo. She's lived this way since her parents died when she was six, and she's never questioned a thing. It's life. There is loss and there is tragedy, but she overcame it. When two boys, Devin and Asher, show up in her sleepy town, mysteries begin to unfold. There's a darkness that follows one of the boys, but there's an aura of calm and peace with the other. Most of all though, she feels torn into two, and she's unsure why. The boys are a catalyst, and Skye will learn the secrets of her parents that she was never meant to know...and what they mean for her future.

Let me preface my review by saying that I've said it time and again - I hate love triangles. Good Lord. At least give me a square, or a love pentagon. Please. Rant over. A Beautiful Dark is the brainchild of debut author, Jocelyn Davies. Providing three dynamic and engaging characters, the novel thrusts the reader into a world where dark and light are as different as night and day, and the truth within oneself might be more powerful than one could ever know. Engrossing and entertaining, A Beautiful Dark takes angels and spins an entirely new story of good and evil and how the line can blur between the two.

There were elements about A Beautiful Dark that I just adored, and there were parts that left me craving for more, so bear with me while I explain. Skye, as a main character, was strong. She was well-developed and relatable. There was an energy about her that was a smidge reckless, but altogether fun and infectious, which made it an easy feat to access her motives. I will also admit that both Devin and Asher are pretty fleshed out, making them real and as clear as can be. Having a trio of completely dynamic characters is quite a feat, and the author navigated it with ease. Having said that, I also must admit that I felt the love element was a bit too forced on me. I knew going into A Beautiful Dark that there was a triangle, but I was a bit disappointed to see that it didn't break that common love triangle hook. I wanted to see a different sort of twist, and it just didn't happen. Now, that said, the idea behind good versus bad in this book was wholeheartedly refreshing. So, like I said, there was a fairly even balance, though a few of the weaknesses were a bit taxing. I must, however, make note of the awesomely brilliant ending. Seriously? A Beautiful Dark nailed that one. I was riveted and left begging for just one more page.

All in all, while I'm not entirely certain that A Beautiful Dark sets itself completely apart from the competition in the genre, it will definitely find a hearty following. I give it a very strong 3.5 out of 5, and I'd recommend it to those who enjoy YA, especially stories about angels and paranormal romance.

I received this ARC free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Dark.