Molly's Reviews > Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt

Generation T by Megan Nicolay

May 27, 08

bookshelves: for-pleasure

I bought this because I knew that if I checked it out from the library, my desire to do something about the piles of old t-shirts that I've been hoarding would disappear as soon as my month with the book was up. As I stare at this book on my shelf, I am reminded of all the shirts that need to be made wearable and/or useful. I've done a few projects, some of which are wearable and most of which were educational to me in some way.

Here's what I learned from the book:
-You're going to want to practice on shirts that don't mean a lot to you, because your first few projects may not turn out as you like.
-The final projects may not be very durable. This may be OK if you're looking for a cheap thrill that isn't wearable for very long, but you may not want to try it with souveniers or other t-shirts with good memories attached to them.
-Many projects require large or XL shirts. If you're like me and have been purchasing sizes closer to your own girly size, you might have to go out and buy a bunch of XL shirts for lots of the projects so you can use the smaller shirts as decorations.
-After a few projects, you may, like me, decide that you really need a sewing machine to make these things look less sloppy. I know that cut-up t-shirts are by nature sloppy, but I would prefer that people say "oh, what a unique skirt she's wearing!" rather than "OMG, she totally made that herself. Look at the shitty stitching!"
-If you're going to make a skirt out of t-shirt material, remember that they have the tendency to stretch out and plan accordingly by adding a drawstring to every single design you make. I made several skirts that later needed drawstrings, and I discovered this after walking a mile or more in them and realizing that they would need to be pulled up frequently on the return trip. Awkward.
-When your family and friends learn about your new interest in repurposing old t-shirts, you may experience a sudden influx of material. Remember that you can be picky and that your local thrift store will have a lot of cheap and unique material to work with.
-You may ultimately decide that your aspirations aren't best met with t-shirt material and set your sights on other materials.

Overall, this book inspired a lot of craftiness. Once I have access to a sewing machine, I will do a lot of damage to the huge pile of t-shirts I've accumulated since I bought the book. I may put a hold on the pile, though, because I'm frustrated with the availability of inexpensive clothing that I will actually wear and I often believe that I could make the things I do want for a lot less. So we'll see what happens with my desire to learn to sew and repurpose old clothes. Thankfully, my mother is awesome with a sewing machine and hopefully will teach me a lot this summer when I get back home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Generation T.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather I checked this book out from the library and now I am looking to buy it. I haven't made anything from it yet, but I am surely not giving away any more t-shirts. Your review was awesome, clear enough that anyone reading it could decide if this is a book they would like or not.