Haley's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Nov 15, 11

First off, let me say the movie, in my opinion, did not do justice to the novel. Nonetheless, I still found the movie enjoyable. Although this book is set in a middle eastern culture, the themes explored are universal. This is truly a story of friendship, loyalty, cruelty, longing for acceptance, redemption and survival. The author does an excellent job of allowing some aspects of the text to come "full circle." What I mean is, the plot of this story truly exemplifies the "what comes around, goes around" idea of karma. When Amir thanks Hassan for helping him win a kite fighting tournament, Hassan replies "for you, a thousand times over." As the story progresses, we see Amir ruin his friendship with Hassan because of his own cowardice. In the end of the story, Amir is able to echo those same words to Hassan's son as a form of redemption and salvation. This thread the author kept alive from beginning to end is really a nice way to tie the story together. If I remember correctly, this is a loose form of "the bookend strategy," where a story opens with a short anecdote or image and closes with the same. This is a technique that I have already experimented with a little and hope to do so more in the future. It is very nice to see this author execute the technique so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.