Mike Grosso's Reviews > We All Fall Down

We All Fall Down by Robert Cormier

May 27, 2008

Read in May, 2008

Some books are labeled as "banned books" and become popular by default. People forget that "banned" is not synonymous with "good."

I think this book is an exception, if only because people are constantly quetioning the reason behind teen violence, school shootings, and our general need to express ourselves in ways that establish our status as the alpha wolf.

There are books I remember reading in high school that were more disturbing than this, but perhaps due to its close up focus on teen amorality, the sometimes skewed idea of vigilante justice, and the adolescent need to use violence as a means to cure boredom, this book has been seen by some as dangerous.

I recommend reading this book if only to get one author's take on a few reasons why teens act out in senseless ways. Hopelessness, whether valid or not, is a common feeling among youth, and the ages at which they seem to delve into depression are getting younger and younger, so the idea that these issues are exclusive to "problem kids" is both outdated and dangerous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We All Fall Down.