Roxanne's Reviews > Heart of Steel

Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

Nov 04, 11

Read from November 02 to 04, 2011

She smoothed her woolen cuff down her wrist, hiding the bracelet. “If you even suggest to my crew that you’ve threatened your way aboard my lady, I’ll rip out your spine.”
He could see she meant it. God. “That’s unbearably arousing.”

3.5 Stars

Heart of Steel was an...enjoyable book. I adored the first book in the series The Iron Duke so I do admit when I started reading this book I had high expectations. Unfortunately it didn't live up to all of them. Don't get me wrong this was still a good book but I felt there was a lot of unnecessary information thrown in to bump the word count up. I'm sure others will find the extra stories fascinating but I just wanted to get more Yasmeen and Archimedes time.

We met both of these characters in book one and I was immediately fascinated with Lady Corsair, with her tough attitude and sharp tongue I knew she would give any guy hell. Then enters in Archimedes Fox a man with a shady past and a thirst for adventure. If anyone can tame Yasmeen it's going to be him. Of course it helps that he already has plans to fall in love with her, he wants to feel the full range of emotions that come with a broken-heart; but it seems he's going to get more than he bargained for.

“And who are you now?” “The man who plans to fall in love with you.”

Yasmeen and Archimedes were fantastic together and so perfectly matched in ever way. I would have liked a 'little' more relationship growth in the story but I was still satisfied with how it turned out. I loved their adventures together, we definitely got to see the side of Archimedes that lives for that kind of life. But as I said above there was a lot of history lessons that could have been condensed down or simplified.

Overall I did like this book but I found myself putting it down a few times or my mind drifting half way through a paragraph. While not as good as The Iron Duke it was still a great addition to this series. I really hope Meljean Brook is going to continue with this series.

Perhaps drugging the woman he intended to fall in love with wasn’t the accepted method of kindling a passionate romance, yet Archimedes considered it the most sensible way to proceed.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Steel.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jamie Me, too. I read the very first chapter, but got sidetracked by DD.