Deja Dei's Reviews > The Zero Knot

The Zero Knot by K.Z. Snow

Nov 07, 11

Read from November 02 to 05, 2011

I had to let this digest a little before attempting a review. But I stick with what I said-K.Z. Snow is still one of my favorite authors, one of the few authors I think I would buy anything she wrote without hesitation. The fact that I enjoyed this book as much as I did is a real testament to her talent as a writer. I have kind of a short attention span so I tend to like fast-paced, action, adventure and fantasy books with loads of conflict and fighting and sex. This book is not like that. It's a very realistic portrait of small town life, friendships and how they evolve in unexpected ways, family realtionships, and personal goals. Though the plot moves slowly and the characters are doing everyday things like fishing or going to work, the author injects these activities with relevance, and the story is never dull or dragging.

The characters are easy to relate to. For me I especially sympathized with how scary it is to come out in a small town where everybody knows everybody else's business. The small-minded, suburban attitude is captured very well without being turned into a diatribe. There are many judgemental people in this little town, but there are also supportive people like Jess's dad and his friend Ginger. Jess's little brother Jared is a fantastic character in that he loves his brother and tries to be supportive in his own way, even if that means being a wise ass. The characterization is subtle, everything grows slowly and nothing is ever shoved in the reader's face. Because of that, Dylan (Mig), Jess, Jared, and the others feel very real. All of them have many different sides to their personalities that make them come alive.

This is a coming of age and coming out story, but it's also the story of how two men decide what they want is different from what they wanted as children (I guess that is coming of age.) The conflict is mostly internal as Jess and Dylan (I hate using his nickname) struggle with their feelings and what admitting them will mean for their futures. The story stays realistic. Nothing happens that wouldn't happen in a typical town in middle America, but it feels profound because the effects on Jess and Dylan are profound. While these characters are often confused, there's no overblown angst and no long, flowery speeches. These characters have communication issues at first, like many young men, but they are determined to work through them. By the end of the first chapter I felt a deep connection to these characters and wanted them to be happy so much.

I'm really glad I took a chance on a type of book I wouldn't normally choose. I recommend it highly.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zero Knot.

11/04/2011 page 100

Boyboygirllove Wow...great review:) Not sure if your up for another emotional story but Wade Kelly's When Love Is Not Enough is fantastic! I have this one marked to read but I think I'll bump it to the top! I love books that stick with you long after you've finished...

Deja Dei Thanks. I really did love this book, and its much quieter than what I usually read. I'll check out when Love is Not Enough, too!

message 3: by L-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

L-D I own this and should be reading it soon.

Deja Dei I really like it and its not what I usually read..I'll be excited to see what you think :)

message 5: by L-D (new) - rated it 4 stars