Caroline The HEA Lover's Reviews > Thief of Shadows

Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, for-bli-review, for-book-lovers-inc, historical, romance
Read from June 10 to 17, 2012

(This review was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Sometimes you recognize how much you really loved a book a few years down the road when you can still remember everything about it. And sometimes you thought you liked a book and can’t remember anything a year later. Well let’s say I’m pretty sure I’ll remember Thief of Shadows for a long time I am a huge fan of the Maiden Lane series. The 1st and 3rd book still resonate in my mind. But for some reason I had trouble remembering what happens in the 2nd book =P Anyways…

I wasn’t sure I would like Winter’s book. In the previous novels he always appeared as a cold man without any warmth in him. How wrong I was. Oh my…Winter rocked my world. I should mention that this review (and even the book synopsis) is a bit spoilery if you haven’t read the previous books. We didn’t know the identity of the mysterious Ghost of St. Giles and what a surprise it was!

To be honest I fell in love with Winter. Or to be more precise with the Harlequin. Winter is a very serious teacher by day and he rights the wronged by night. I can’t tell you how much I loved how wicked Winter turned when wearing his costume. He seemed bolder, sexier…armed with a sexy slow grin, how can anyone resist him?!!!

Isabel is a patroness of Winter’s orphanage, when she learns that the others planned on putting someone more ‘refined’ in his place she decides to help Winter. She is proposing to teach him what he need to know to pass for a gentleman and keep his place. Winter has always been focused on his work. He wants to help those in need and he NEVER indulged in women. Yes…NEVER (yes I mean he’s a virgin!!). Isabel is a widow and she’s not inexperienced so when she proposes to teach him, the double entendres fly! Oh how I looooooved that. Winter is more than willing to learn. The chemistry between those 2 was explosive. Seriously this book was HOT from start to end. The sex scenes were just perfect. Hot and erotic with a touch of wicked! It’s worth reading if only for this chemistry between the hero and heroine. This is exactly how I love my Historical romances…on the hot side!

It was so refreshing to finally have an inexperienced hero. He made up for it very fast Isabel is a wonderful character. She’s bold and funny. She knows herself and she’s not ashamed of it. She truly loved her late husband. I really loved to see her struggle to have a relationship with Christopher her very young charge. I’m usually recalcitrant when i comes to experienced heroines in historical romances because most of the time they act TOO brashly. This was not the case with Isabel, she was free enough to be interesting but still acted in the limits of her social place.

Well I will be honest there’s a mystery going on in this novel but I couldn’t care less about it. It was all fine but I just wanted to see Isabel and Winter interact, and I got plenty of that *g*. All I wanted to do was shout WINTER IS COMING!!! lol I love Winter (never thought I’d ever say that lol).

Thief of Shadows is a fantastic addition to this series. We finally get to see the wicked side of the always proper Winter. This book is HOT and sweet at the same time. (I mean come ON he loved children and is completely selfless). It made me laugh and made my heart ache. A truly fabulous read. Of course now I cannot wait for the next book which sounds delicious!

I give Thief of Shadows 4,5 Stars
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thief of Shadows.

06/10/2012
18.0% "Love Winter!"
06/11/2012
26.0% "Oh Winter is awesome! He's such a tease"
06/12/2012
37.0% "Still in love with Winter/ Just sayin'"
06/14/2012