rameau's Reviews > The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares

The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares by Joyce Carol Oates

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: arc-galley, annoying-1st-3rd-voice-mixing, genre-horror, genre-psychological, read-in-2011
Read from November 02 to 05, 2011

First of all, if you don't like nightmares and don't want to be scared and repulsed by the horrors ordinary people do, don't read this. Since I'm one of the slightly skewed people who enjoy reading about the darker side of the human nature, I actually enjoyed the book and most of the short stories within.

I got lost in the pain and desperation Marissa's mother felt when she found her daughter missing and her world unravelling under the scrutiny of the authorities and the public. I felt the confusion as the innocent teacher agreed to help the police only to find himself in the centre of a witch-hunt. And I even found a sliver of understanding and the pity for the kidnapper.

All this happened within the first short story and more was to come with the others thanks to Oates' writing. She managed to keep me turning the pages even when I was annoyed with her choices both for the characters and the effective writing. Somehow Oates managed to make third limited past tense seem more immediate and gripping than most authors manage with first person present tense.

The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares is an acquired taste, and since this is my first encounter with Joyce Carol Oates' work, I can only assume the same goes for the rest of her work. It's going to take a while for me to explore this theory further though.

I received an Advanced Readers Copy from the publisher through NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares.

11/04/2011
31.0% "Hello paragraph long sentence, it's nice top male your acquaintance on this beautiful day and not say anything about what you're actually about."
11/04/2011
31.0% "Top male was supposed to be to make. I should stop now."