Sarah Murray's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Nov 02, 2011

Read in October, 2011

I think a great age level for this story would be 9-12 years old. Although there are many pictures, this book has a great story and message to make it fit older kids. I like the fact that Hugo was a character with so many dynamics and he has so many sides to himself. This story was so detailed and it was a great read to be able to imagine what the machine was like and how the characters throughout the story were like. The pictures were also very well done and it helped give me a better picture in my mind of how the story should be.

I think a great activity to do for a classroom would be to have my students each come up with an invention. They would write how their invention would look, all the instructions needed and what exactly would be its use. They would need to include a picture of the invention and talk about how it would benefit other people and not just themselves. This would help the kids stretch their imagination and really think of inventions to make their lives easier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.