aPriL does feral sometimes's Reviews > Everywhere That Mary Went

Everywhere That Mary Went by Lisa Scottoline

Feb 07, 14

bookshelves: mysteries-suspense-thrillers
Read from November 02 to 03, 2011

It's clumsy, but it has good bones. Mary DiNunzio, the protagonist in this first book of the series, is not my cup of tea, but I will read the next one before deciding on whether to read more. A lot of threads were left that look like they will be fleshed out as the series progresses, such as the one unreeling for the main character's relationship with her twin sister.

There was too much stalking, not just from the criminal, but it seemed every male in the book, including the gay ones, love Mary best over everyone else in their lives. (Only the cat hates her.) The plot is about a man who loves her insanely, and he is scaring her with wild threats to her life which clearly demonstrate a crazy mind at work. But many many other characters love her too very much over the top.

Mary appears to be a hard worker, but insecure and indecisive, clingy and seeking a male protector despite her distrust of men. She also has a female friend whom she loves; however she turns to males for solace and advice, ignoring her own inner voice as well as her female best friend.

The plot matches Mary's queer emotional life, appearing uneven to me and it doesn't quite make sense. For someone making Partner in a top legal firm, Mary appears too dumb and too high school, not like a smart professional. Perhaps this is because the book is teetering into the Romance genre at many points instead of sticking to the path of a legal thriller. I guess the next one might make it more clear who is the intended audience.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everywhere That Mary Went.

11/02/2011 page 40