Lynnae's Reviews > The Golden Spiral

The Golden Spiral by Lisa Mangum

Nov 15, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own
Recommended to Lynnae by: LaRene Gaunt
Recommended for: Time-travel-lovers, those who love a good clean romance
Read from November 02 to 14, 2011

This is an excellent second installment. I'm not usually a huge fan of starry-eyed love stories, but this series is an exception. Lisa Mangum's writing style is engaging, and her story avoids drumming up the same tired tropes of other romances. You know, the forbidden love, families keeping them apart, "I'm too dangerous to be with you," etc.

Abby is delightfully self-reliant and independent, a strong plug for women everywhere. I also really enjoy that Dante isn't overbearing in his protectiveness. Instead, he often lets Abby do her thing, and even relies on her to help him. The balance in their relationship is my favorite part of the story.

My only complaint about these books is that sometimes it's a little difficult to follow her imagery of moving around time and between the bank and reality. As someone who likes to fully visualize the books I'm reading, it's a little frustrating to feel like I can't quite picture what the author was going for.

All in all, I enjoy Mangum's characterization---despite my prejudice against sappy love stories, I found myself caring a great deal about Abby and Dante from the very beginning. Abby is believable as a 21st century girl who still believes just a tiny bit in fairy-tale love. Dante is sweet and thoughtful without coming off as unrealistically poetic and overly devoted. Though Mangum's landscaping is a little weak, I still found myself drawn into the story by the sheer realness of the characters.

I'll definitely be picking up The Forgotten Locket in the near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Spiral.