Casey's Reviews > Ninth Ward

Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes

Nov 06, 2011

Read from November 02 to 06, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninth Ward.

Casey 1. Genre: Science Fiction

2. Summary: The story of a brave girl, Lanesha, who is blessed with magical gifts of seeing the dead. Lanesha's story of survivng Hurricane Katrina.

3. Critique:
a.) The fact that Rhodes includes the idea of "witchcraft" in this story is magical.

b.) I loved reading about Lanesha's communication with ghosts especially her mother. It adds some answers to the missing puzzle piece that makes up who Lanesha is and without it this story would be at a loss. For example, Lanesha's mother saves her life towards the end of the story when she gets her pant leg caught on a branch that is pulling her underwater and drowning her while she is trying to knock a rowboat loose so that she, TaShon, and Spot can escape and survive. Lanesha's mothers ghost lays on the bed every single day, still pregnant as if she never gave birth to Lanesha.

c.) The 'witchcraft' is what makes this story unrealistic but the historical aspect is fairly relevant. I loved reading about Katrina because the way that Rhodes formulates this story makes me feel like I got to live hurricane Katrina instead of being an outsider or onlooker of the experience.

4. Curriculum Connection: This would be the perfect book to read aloud as a class and tie it in with current events in the world. Hurricane Katrina was a real life event that was tragic in the lives of humans and some of your students may have family that lived or died from hurricane Katrina. You could also tie in the lesson with science and discuss hurricanes and other natural disasters.