rameau's Reviews > Her Dark Knight

Her Dark Knight by Sharon Cullen

A girl walks into a bar, she's groped, and she's saved by the owner. That owner just happens to be a seven hundred year old immortal Knight of the Templar who just happens to be mourning a dead woman from centuries ago. And the lemon twist in this cocktail is her being the reincarnated love of his life.

So far, this is a solid set up for a paranormal romance with a sprinkling of angel and demon lore thrown into the mix. Salty. I should have asked for the tequila instead.

The story certainly starts out better than the word solid would indicate. It starts from 1309 when Christien (which I kept reading as Christian all through this book) Chevalier is dying, but receives a holy task and the curse of immortality instead.

Then, abruptly, we're thrown back into the modern time and into Lainie Alexander's aching shoes. She goes by the name Lainie, but of course he insists on calling her Madelaine, just like his dead love. Oozing romance, isn't he?

It turns out that there are darker forces at work and that they've organised this happy reunion. Christien, the ever aware, is of course on top of things and suspects Lainie for working against him with the evil side. Somehow though, he can't keep away, and they keep bumping into each other, more or less literally. Lainie doesn't quite catch on until she starts dreaming of her past life in the early 14th century.

I couldn't tell you exactly what or how it happens, this modern romance of an immortal dark knight and his reincarnated love, because the book literally put me to sleep. Twice. What I can tell you, is that Lainie's dreams are the reader's gate to the past timeline and flashbacks to what happened the first time around between Madelaine, Countess of Flanders, and her Templar Knight.

These sparse flashbacks are the real treat of this book, and it's thanks to them that I actually finished reading it. I'm not a history buff and I couldn't tell you how accurate or inaccurate the scenes are, but I do know that there was a magnificent, believable, and bewitching story there. Or it was that up to the point the Countess died. This brings me to the reason why I ended up hating this book.

Despite my drowsiness, I came to believe that the point of Madelaine's reincarnation was for her to learn new things. Small things like self-defence. Here, you open the vodka and pour it down my throat straight up. It's either that or a mallet to beat some sense into my thick skull.

Of course the point wasn't for Madelaine to re-emerge as a strong, capable woman who just happens to love an immortal thug from the middle ages. Of course she's not supposed to be anything other than a burden to him, and of course her whole existence screams for self-sacrifice in the name of God and His treasure.

The sad thing is, I really liked this book up until the last 15% or so. I was actually sad that I didn't think I could give it the fourth star, that's how much I loved the medieval romance.

Oh, no. This is a book about the man. This is a romance novel of his pain and suffering. This is about his reward. Two stars.

To think I managed to write this review without lambasting the sex scenes or mentioning the ridiculousness of a man telling an archangel what to do. Oops.

I received an Advance Readers Copy from the publisher through NetGalley.

You can also read this review on Sandra's My Reading Nook-blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Dark Knight.

11/26/2011 page 2
0.81% "Milwaukee?"
11/26/2011
5.0% "Why does he have an accent? He's had centuries to lose it, gain new ones and lose then all over again."
11/26/2011
7.0% "Cursing in French. Classy. I am not amused."
11.0% "European flair?"
11/26/2011
14.0% "That's the opposite of letting her go, you know."
11/26/2011
24.0% "It would really help if he wasn't so magnificent right away. Let there be a pull but let the attraction grow naturally to."
11/27/2011
34.0% "So NOW she has a friend?"
11/28/2011
38.0% "Was that description absolutely necessary? Less would have been enough."
11/28/2011
39.0% "Is she more worried about the side-effects or about succumbing to them in front of him?"
56.0% ""Glorious.""
11/28/2011
79.0% "If she also recognises her childhood home, the castle she feels safe in, why the hell would she buy a painting of the place she used to hate? More importantly why would she keep it with all that debt?"
11/28/2011
80.0% "This is actually a pretty good reveal. Too bad I'm too distracted to care."
11/28/2011
82.0% "Did I just imagine that piece of emotional blackmail?"
11/28/2011
87.0% "I think this book just lost its third star."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anachronist (new)

Anachronist Sometimes it is worth reading a bad book to write a delicious review. I am glad at least the Medieval Romance was up to the scratch. Thanks!

message 2: by rameau (last edited Nov 29, 2011 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

rameau Sandra, I added the link. Thank you.

Ana, I wouldn't call it a bad book per say. It's just far removed from the realm I consider good literature. And I really liked bits of it. I liked Christien's characterisation, which was a mesh of outdated macho and someone trying to learn from his mistakes without wanting to scare the lady away. There were bits of Lainie I liked too, but those bits were again something that were told she was, not shown. And then the ending happened.

Which, I still want to rant about. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Anachronist (new)

Anachronist I read your spoiler and I couldn't agree more. (view spoiler)