Catherine's Reviews > A Repair Kit for Grading: Fifteen Fixes for Broken Grades with DVD (2nd Edition)

A Repair Kit for Grading by Ken O'Connor

Nov 02, 2011

bookshelves: professional-development
Read on November 02, 2011

I really liked some of the book. A lot of it connects with my own teaching philosophy and other parts made me rethink issues that I had taken from granted (such as assigning zeros for academic dishonesty) though I can't say I agree with O'Connor on everything he wrote.

I definitely agree with the idea of assessment for learning and removing behaviour from achievement.

In terms of not marking things like homework, I think that's ok. Although some students may not have the intrinsic motivation to do the homework on their own, using marks as extrinsic rewards has been shown over and over again to decrease intrinsic motivation, so we're actually just making the problem worse. As educators, we're trying to foster lifelong learning and attaching a mark onto everything they do in school causes students to lose focus on the learning and instead keep trying to just get more points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Repair Kit for Grading.

Stephanie we are reading this book as a district and talking about it at our faculty far...good!

Catherine Yay! I'm just a student teacher right now so we're doing it in classes. A lot of people were really against some parts of the book and even my professor didn't like all of it. We actually had a principal from our city who was consulted by O'Connor in writing the book and his teachers actually do implement a lot of the book, so I think it really is applicable to real life despite the naysayers.