Babs's Reviews > Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation

Let Your Life Speak by Parker J. Palmer

Nov 08, 11

Read in November, 2011

This small tome of essays was referenced in a book I recently enjoyed, "My American Unhappiness" by Dean Bakopolus. Put this title on reserve at your local Public Library; unplug and coccoon for a cozy, lazy Sunday afternoon, curled up with this lovely book in print on life as a spiritual journey. You may add to your enjoyment of the experience by quaffing a brandy or bloody mary. This wee book soothes by it's petite size and plain spoken Quaker philosophy. It's particularly balm to the parched souls of post "Occupy Wall Street" America in it's refutation of the materialsitic worlds of both Marxism and Capitalism. Yes boys and girls, Marxists believe that all history is the result of economic decision-making. Au contraire, says our author, the works of the human heart and imagination are more powerful than a Fort Knox full of gold. Amen brother. I also like the author's embrace of the "natural chaos of life," as a lofty goal to be acquired in one's spiritual evolution. This book would make a lovely gift to a spiritual-thinking or philosophical friend, who would most certainly conjure good thoughts of you each time it was referenced.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let Your Life Speak.