Trebro's Reviews > Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For

120879
May 26, 08

bookshelves: tradepaperbacks
Read in May, 2008

The end of my review for Volume 1 was "It's great stuff, I hope the rest is even close to being this good." Fortunately, I was not a bit disappointed.

This time around, we follow Dwight, a man who had a great fall and has tried to live a better life, albeit one that still deals in the smut and dirty-dealing of life in Sin City and its environs. When a woman from his past comes back with one hell of a sob story, will he stay strong? Or fall right back into the abyss he thought he'd managed to crawl out of in the first place?

This is Sin City; you know the answer before you start.

As Dwight's life gets worse, Miller adds a nice touch--Marv shows up. You remember Marv; he was #$%#$%# stuff up and taking names in volume one. There's even a bit of that in here, too, showing that Miller has put together an entire world, not just a set of isolated stories. He also sneaks in a few references to Hellboy and Elektra, too. Heh. Just as things look bad for Dwight, he finds a way to use the depths to which his life can plummet into an advantage. But will it be enough when facing a dame to kill for?

It's hard to review this one without giving away too much of the lovely twists and turns that Miller plants in the storyline. The only thing I will say is that just when you think that the storyline is headed distinctly in a certain direction, Miller yanks it another way. He also continues to use the stark black-and-white style to amazing effect, though with perhaps a bit too much nudity this time. Characters like Agamemnon pop off the page with their distinctive stylings and Marv is an absolute treat of a character. I hope we keep getting to see him.

Sin City is the type of world you certainly wouldn't want to live in, and the actions of the characters are out there, even for a dark world like this one. But as I said before--because of the world Miller has built, everything feels natural. The art is not quite as good this time--I didn't want to ogle the pages every few minutes--but it still fits the material nicely. There's also a distinct improvement in the way the women react in this world, which made me quite happy.

Still a violent book, I can give this a complete recommendation for those who don't mind the gory details of a gory world. Highly recommended! (Library, 05/08)

Trebby's Take: Definitely a must-read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sin City, Vol. 2.