Rosa's Reviews > Anya's Ghost

1913711
Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, graphic-novels, young-adult
Read on November 01, 2011

So after ordering this book for both the libraries I work at and putting it on my graphic novels list for teens, I thought maybe I should actually read it. (Usually I do this the other way around but it was getting such high praise I felt comfortable reccommending it.)

Anya is a Russian imigrant in a private high school that has worked really hard to Americanize herself. She's fairly insecure b/c she can't get the guy she wants and embarrassed by her Russian heritage and her Russian classmate. One day on the way to school she falls into an old dry well and meets the Emily, a ghost who claims she was murdered. At first everything seems great, Emily helps Anya out with tests and to start getting Sean to pay attention to her. However Emily starts to push Anya just as Anya starts to realize that maybe what she has is better then what she wants.

The story definitely has a clear message about grass not always being greener. At first I thought that the black and white illustration style was a strange choice, however as Emily started to get scarier and the story delved further into the mystery of who Emily was and what she really wanted the black and white illustration style felt completely right.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anya's Ghost.