Nafiza's Reviews > Sisters of Glass

Sisters of Glass by Stephanie Hemphill

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: net-galley, 2011
Read on November 14, 2011

The thing is, I’m pretty certain Sisters of Glass is aimed at a younger audience and some books are tailored to meet the audience’s expectations but, because of their simplicity, unable to attract older readers. It could also be that I went into the book anticipating a complex story, full of layered interactions against the rich backdrop of historical Venice. What I got was vastly different.

I had no idea that the book was in verse form. This form automatically meant that the complexity I was expecting (and anticipating) was missing. I’m not saying that novels in verse form cannot be complex and layered but if the book is directed at a younger audience, out of necessary, it will need to be accessible. The characters were interesting but I don’t believe the verse form was able to do them justice. The entire story, complete with the resolution and the ending, seemed a bit too pat and neat for it to make any lasting impression on me.

With that said, let me reiterate that I am not the target audience of this book. I believe that younger readers will like this book quite a lot. It is easy to read and offers younger readers a tantalizing glimpse into history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters of Glass.