Susan's Reviews > Among the Mad

Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear

Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: audio, 2011

The story was interesting enough in this Maisie mystery and was told at a leisurely pace. That was fine and I enjoyed hearing about the day to day events in Maisie's life.

However, possible spoilers ahead... I have absolutely NO sympathy for her good friend Priscilla. How self-centered and selfish can you get? I can't see the point in adding her to the story except to whine about her terribly boring life. Please!

And I am getting a little fed up with 'practically perfect in every way' Maisie 'Mary Poppins' Dobbs. She never gets angry and lashes out, never has any knee-jerking reactions like a normal person, always does the right thing, says the right thing, is calm and collected all the time and even shows sympathy to the killers in the story. Please!

Finally, I didn't appreciate the show of cruelty to animals in this story. Was it absolutely necessary?

I think I'll be taking a break from further adventures for awhile. I find myself getting angry, frustrated and shaking my head in disbelief during the telling of these stories.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Mad.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Nov 07, 2011 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah Preach it, sista!!

Maisie is probably the worst thing about this series. I really wonder if Winspear thinks she's writing her in a sympathetic way. If so, she's way off the mark.

I think your idea of taking a break from the series is a good one. I have to space out my "Maisie time" as well. Too much of her is...well, too much!

Great review, BTW.

Susan Thanks. I looked and saw there is only one more I haven't read so will hold off on that one. And I agree with you about Maisie being the worse thing though Priscilla comes second as far as I'm concerned!

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Nov 07, 2011 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah Susan wrote: "I looked and saw there is only one more I haven't read so will hold off on that one..."

Unless you read one out of order, you still have 2 more to go:

The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7) by Jacqueline Winspear
(Probably my favorite since the very first one)

A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8) by Jacqueline Winspear
(Disappointing installment IMO)

Susan Nope didn't read them out of order. Was looking at the list wrong. Either way, will give myself a rest before tackling these 2!