Boogenhagen's Reviews > Scandalous Desires

Scandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt

Nov 02, 11

** spoiler alert ** To be honest I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was, the first two stories in this series have really been kinda blah for me. In this one EH gets back to the tormented bad boy characters she does so well and Mickey is a great H very reminiscent of Simon in The Serpent Prince. Mickey is also incredibly romantic, far more so than most of the other characters in this series. He knows he wants Silence the h and he is implacable in having her. Silence is also very similar to Lucy from The Serpent Prince in character but she has more depth than Lucy did and has more ability to see things in shades of gray as opposed to black and white.

The two major story lines are Mick courting Silence and Mick's ongoing battle with the criminal Vicar of St. Giles, who also happens to be his abusive father. The Vicar is set on killing Mick and destroying all he values. Mick decides that Silence and his baby daughter need to be protected so he moves them into his house. This has repercussions for Silence, as it appears to the world that she has become Mick's mistress and so a subplot becomes how Silence's decision to stay with Mick is received by her family and what in particular her brother Winter who is the Ghost of St. Giles ( a vigilante in disguise) is going to do about it. As Silence and Mick fall deeper into love, Silence wants Mick to give up his pirate ways and the Vicar makes his move to kill Mick. The climax of the Vicar plot ends when Silence kills him after and attempted rape and I have to say I really liked having a sweet heroine that srsly defended herself. Mick finally realizes that his obsession with money can't compare to his love for Silence, so he arranges his life in order to marry her as a respectable citizen. All the story lines were well done and the set up for Winter's book is intriguing, but what I liked best in this one was the growth and change of the both Mick and Silence as they learn to reevaluate their pasts and move forward together as wiser, more rounded people who share a great love and passion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandalous Desires.