Melanie McCullough's Reviews > Drowning Instinct

Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-challenge, my-favorites
Read in January, 2012

Everybody breaks sooner or later, Bob. Anyone can drown. Sometimes you see it. Most often, you don't because the body protects and the skin hides, so drowning doesn't look like drowning and some people scar so nicely. Take it from an expert.

This is just one of the many insightful passages featured in Drowning Instinct, but it is one that will stick with me forever, as will Jenna's story. I can't get it out of my head.

When we first meet Jenna, she is in the hospital, frozen and wet, having been pulled from the lake. She is questioned by a detective who provides her with a tape recorder and instructs her to tell her story. It is through her recordings that we learn the truth of what happened and how those events led to her near drowning.

When it comes to books, I'm a pretty good judge of what I will and will not like. So, when I requested a copy of Drowning Instinct for review I was fairly certain that I would enjoy the book. I expected it to challenge me, to test the gray areas of my morals. I'd never considered the possibility that I would find a love story as hopeful and as tragic as it was wrong.

Drowning Instinct is an exceptional novel. So perfectly formed. And so filled with pain and heartbreak and love, that I was left breathlessly sobbing and shaking at the end. This novel tore me to shreds and broke my heart. It skewed my perspective to the point that I was hoping for something that I shouldn't have been. Or should I have? I don't know any more. I don't even know what else to say except that I absolutely LOVED it.

I could go on and tell you how much this book has affected me, right down to my bones, but honestly, this is something the reader needs to experience for themselves, in precisely the way Jenna has laid it out for them to understand.

I will tell you that this is a tough book. It's not pretty or optimistic. It's dark and real. But it's also intelligent, intense, and provocative. It will break your heart and no doubt leave you questioning much of what you believe about right and wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowning Instinct.

01/12/2012 page 41
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi Melanie..do you remember where this was set? I am trying to bump it up to read it for a challenge. I love me some Ilsa Bick writing!!