Karen!'s Reviews > Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book

2932003
Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: cookbooks
Read in November, 2011

In my quest for the perfect vegan cookbook, this one comes very close. It is cute. Everything in it looks tasty. Of course, it is also a bit of false advertiasing--but I was glad! I had no idea from the cover and title that the self-proclaimed baking book would devote half of its pages to...not baked good. The "savory fare" included, however, all looks delicious. I can't wait to try some of these recipes!

My only other "criticism" comes with the teritory of being a freakish vegan in a not-so-vegan-world. See, real flour and I are friends. I have no need to purchase expensive flour and starch powders, because I can just use real flour. Of course, as vegan and gluten-free diets are continuously lumped together as freakish diet friends, I should just get over this, but I like my gluten! I will, however, totally get over this fact by eating devouring the majority of the delicious, scrumptuous food in this very cookbook.

Also, super cute pictures!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mamers (new)

Mamers For real, my flour is $4 a pound and I can only buy it at Harvest Health or online. If this little experiment doesn't work, I'm totally going back to regular flour. lol

Karen! For reals! I just wish that they would say "Hey, if you happen to use regular flour, here is how you modify it."

Perhaps I ask too much.

message 3: by Mamers (new)

Mamers Gosh, you're so needy.

Out of curiousity, I've tried substituting my flour in recipes that use regular flour. Doesn't work so well.

Karen! Usually it is not disastrous to substitute all-purpose flour for the gf flour and the starch they choose, but I have to be really perceptive with the batter. Sometimes I need more liquid; sometimes I need more flour; sometimes they taste delicious but do not look pretty. Very mixed bag.

message 5: by Mamers (new)

Mamers I usually am in the ugly-but-tastes-good camp. I'm still what you'd call a beginner, so I'm not very good at figuring out what ingredient is causing my stress. :)

I did just finish a gluten free & vegan pumpkin granola. Um. Can't keep my handout of the tupperware now. Yummy. http://withstyle.me/2011/10/04/gluten...