Parvathy's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

May 28, 12

bookshelves: confused, disturbing-dystopia, movie-material, mystery, sci-fi, young-adult
Recommended for: Dystopia fans
Read from May 23 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

Picking up the book as a part of a group read I was not at all sure what to expect. Other than the fact that the book has been sitting in my TBR pile for a long time there was nothing compelling me to take up the book. To be frank if it wasn't for the group read I would have missed out on the whole thing and what a loss that would have been. Maze Runner is a book that should not be missed out on and what makes it such a compelling read the element of mystery surrounding the whole thing. I have tried my hand at a number of dystopia fictions before and I dare say I enjoyed all of them. A world in ruins, a male or a female protagonist, some kind of a trial and a victory or a cliff hanger at the end depending on whether the book is one in a series. But in all these books after one or two pages you get what all this is about and what is happening in the world right now. What is expected of the characters? and what it will all lead to?. In the case of Maze Runners those are the things that leave you hanging till the end.

So you have the first chapter beginning with boy in a lift who has no recollection of who he is or where he is and then the lift door opens and a number of boys are waiting outside staring at him, calling him names and one of them extends his hand and says "Welcome to the Glade". On this ominous note the first chapter ends. The following chapters have this boy whose name we learn is Thomas trying to make sense of things. His purpose for being there, there being whatever place he was in which is still not known and strange boys who refuse to give him answers. Slowly he comes to the realization that he is inside a maze and along with it a feeling that he should be the one out there trying to solve it. But things are not that simple. For one thing there are mysterious creatures that live out on the maze and the maze doors shut every night to protect the glade from the creatures outside. Thomas is only the latest addition to something which has been going on for 2 years the purpose of which is still unknown to all. As if the present mysteries were not enough a new recruit arrives way before the time and to make things worse it is a girl - the first ever in Glade.

With a fast paced narrative and compelling story the Maze Runner keeps you hooked till the very last page. I found it very difficult to stop where I had to stop and there after waited for the next time I would get to read the rest. Not to mention coming up with crazy theories in between. The only reason that I have reduced two stars for such entertaining read is because it left me with more questions than answers and that was a slight drawback. Nevertheless that should not discourage anyone from giving this book a try. As for me I am definitely going to check out the next book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

05/24/2012 page 58