Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)'s Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

2204710
Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, galley, fiction, own, romance, post-apocalyptic, ya
Read from November 02 to 14, 2011

A review beyond "OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK!" is forthcoming.

Read the full review at Working for the Mandroid

I’m going to attempt to be rational about this book and write a fair and balanced review. This is going to be difficult, however, because I just finished it and all I want to write is “OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK!” over and over again with excessive amounts of exclamation marks and yet I know the book has problems. Crossed is the sequel to Matched, a book I read earlier in the year that I enjoyed, but was one of those books I loved more the farther away I got from it. I didn’t do it any favors by reading it right after The Hunger Games series either. The more I thought about the world building, the concepts Condie put inside, and the potential for character growth beyond the stock YA cast, the more I enjoyed Matched. I mean, I gave it a B- in my initial review.

This is not the case with Crossed. I’m on the verge of breaking things in frustration of not having the third book. Yes, I had a few issues here and there that might have been fixed for the finished version, but OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK!

Warning: Spoilers for Matched ahead

I finished my review of Matched with the following words:

I'm left with a lot of questions, mostly background and about all the things that are only hinted at with passing comments. I want to know more about the global situation. I want more world building. I want more Ky being awesome.

And guess what? Ally Condie gave me everything I wanted and so much more. There’s background and world building, views of life outside the Society, the absolutely horrible things the Society is capable of, and above all else, a lot more of Ky being awesome because half of the story is told by Ky.

By the end of Matched, Cassia – our plucky female protagonist – was on her way to a work program with the intent of sneaking out of the Society to find Ky, who had been ripped from his bed in the middle of the night and shipped off to what is essentially boot camp for death. Crossed picks up a few months later when Cassia is almost done with her work program and desperate for a way out to find Ky. He is currently acting as a decoy farmer in an outer province, helping the Society divert the enemy (cleverly referred to as the Enemy) in some long-standing war. Essentially he’s living in an abandoned village with other people deemed not worthy, waiting for a bomb to blow him up.

A lot of convenient plot devices occur and Cassia finds herself in the outer provinces with a boy who knew Ky and promises to help her on her way to find him. Adventure ensues. People are dramatic. A lot of poetry is thought about. In context, I should not really like this book. It’s romance-y. Everyone is pining after each other. And yet…

For a book that doesn’t take place in any of the Society world I found so fascinating, this book hooked me from the beginning and didn’t let me go. I was horrified by what Ky had to go through, anxious to see when Cassia and Ky would be reunited (I stayed up until 1am one night in hopes I would be able to reach their reunion before I went to sleep), and eager to see what happened after. The rebellion alluded to in Matched acts as a strong catalyst in Crossed, driving the action of the story once the inevitable reunion is made. Also, can I say how glad I am that the separation wasn’t dragged out for the entire book? That was a huge relief.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

11/11/2011 page 24
6.0% "Just took a baby step in - already horribly bleak and depressing. Love it!"
11/12/2011 page 164
43.0% "If only I didn't need sleep..."
11/14/2011 page 304
79.0% "I so wanted to finish this last night. It is SO GOOD."